23 replies to this topic

#1 Stabbity Style

Stabbity Style

"Coolest Person Ever" - ouij

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

I just realized how many people asked for places to help them map on the old forums and I figure that a thread (possibly stickied, idk) would give people a place to go to to learn. Also, if something new comes along, it can simply be posted. Anyway, that's my spiel, here's the resources off the top of my head, feel free to post if I missed something.

www.interlopers.net
Widely regarded as the place to go for mapping help, it's got tons of tutorials and a community full of mappers who're ready to give some advice.

www.fpsbanana.com/tuts

developer.valvesoftware.com
The official go-to for information regarding Hammer and Source SDK in general, it's a really great site with lots of information. If you plan on mapping, keep this bookmarked.

AxMEM8u.pngstabbity.png
"Don't mess with stabbity style, he'll challenge you to a viola battle for your soul." -StukaAce

Steam: stabbitystyle | Xbox Live: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle | Twitch: StabbityStyleStream

#2 Slackiller

Slackiller

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

Don't forget EditLife

#3 sotapoika

sotapoika

Level Designer/Moderator

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hey guys, you forgot one: developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki! :hide:

Edited by sotapoika, 08 January 2008 - 05:57 PM.

Posted Image

- When there is No More Room In Hell, go find your place somewhere else. -

#4 Pyjama

Pyjama

Infected

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Guitar , Comp , Friends , Skate ....

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

http://videotutorial...utorial=mapping

That's only videos

the website is in french ( I sent it cuz maybe there is ppl who speak french here , like me )
Suicide is not a proof of courage , the real courage is to stay alive ( From My Sister...)

#5 InZaneFlea

InZaneFlea

Tester

• Testers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

-Mod Edit-

Cleaned up. Try and keep information threads to only information, for sanity's sake!
Tester

#6 FACEPUNCHERDAN

FACEPUNCHERDAN

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Making Maps

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

You should also add this http://www.facepunch...ad.php?t=602394 all you have to do is ask a mapping question then the op of the thread will answer your question or someone else would.

#7 Joe

Joe

NMRIH's Mappers Inspiration

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

I really want to make a map for Zombie Panic: Source and for No More Room in Hell. In my point of view, these sources worry me because I wonder if the information is up-to-date with the right hammer, or whatever. Now, I don't want to just make a thrilling map for ZP, but a map where a decent amount of survivors are bound to die at random so also the good players can die and THEN: let the prettiness come in.

As for NMRiH I'd also like to make something intricate but I must be so stingy. I just want some help like customer service; really. I want to know if I made a map that isn't setted to the right mod that I can still convert it to that mod. I want to know these things so I don't waste time. I would go through tutorials. I am legit; I just can't start! I miss this page on the ZP forums where a guy actually gave a lot of help by typing up how to do everything but now: It's still just confusing and hard.

#8 LSR

LSR

Modeler

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:3d, zombies

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

Have u ever done maps before? If not, then don't wait and start doing something. Maybe for zp first, so u can definitely test map yourself.

I am not familiar with mapping but as far as i can see (crossfire for zp, de_dust for NT) u can convert any map to any mod with some effort of course.

#9 nay0r

nay0r

NMRiH Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

as far as i am aware there is not a clean way of converting maps usually the best way is to decompile then use the base of the decompile to rebuild section at a time from scratch

sig1.jpg

Author of nmo_cleopas / nmo_toxteth / nmo_broadway / nmo_cabin

#10 eyefunk

eyefunk

Reanimating

• Real Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:12 AM

I still discourage decompiling.
I fail at signatures.

#11 Maxx

Maxx

Project Lead

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts
  • Interests:4 8 15 16 23 42

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

I still discourage decompiling.

As do I, but in some technical senses it can serve a purpose.

Like NMRiH? Add me on Facebook!
-- NMRiH Project Lead, Team Manager --
"less talk more getting naked" -- ssba
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 nay0r

nay0r

NMRiH Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

i discourage it as a means to decompile redo a few things and re-release but as a form of seeing how something is done or simply rebuild as a reference for size i feel this is more than ok to do

sig1.jpg

Author of nmo_cleopas / nmo_toxteth / nmo_broadway / nmo_cabin

#13 Joe

Joe

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

what is decompiling?

Also, if I wanted to map for NMRiH, how do I test it as NMRiH? How do I get to use the NMRiH textures and weapons? Should I just start mapping for ZP: Source first and I can just export the map as NMRiH the next time, since they could let me use their textures and weapons and stuff??

#14 themanofwar

themanofwar

Tester

• Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Games
    Movies
    Soccer
    Mapping

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Decompiling means that you basically compile a .bsp existing map into a .vmf hammer file, so lets say that you played the map Town of zps, you could decompile that with a program and use it yourself in hammer.

#15 Joe

Joe

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Ay! I would like to decompile. I have always technically "decompiled" for Starcraft maps just to see how they put their triggers together and their locations used for the triggers.

I can decompile, assuming that I first have that wittle program that allows me to see the files in the folders. They make it so hard these days. Some people like me really want to map and making it harder doesn't help me start mapping any sooner. I want audio files... sounds... ghost sounds... wind sounds.. maps, models, textures... I WANT IT ALL just to map. Oh so should people just make ALL their textures now? Sure, we are provided with minimal amounts. It just doesn't make sense they give us hammer, but it kind of feels wrong to "borrow" sounds, textures, and models when movies do it all the time. Every now and then, you'll hear this very common scream from a movie as if they can't afford recording. If only I gave a crap about how important intelligence could become, I could give examples of every movie that shared the same audio recordings for their cinematic entertainment.

#16 sotapoika

sotapoika

Level Designer/Moderator

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:24 PM

Ay! I would like to decompile. I have always technically "decompiled" for Starcraft maps just to see how they put their triggers together and their locations used for the triggers.

I can decompile, assuming that I first have that wittle program that allows me to see the files in the folders. They make it so hard these days. Some people like me really want to map and making it harder doesn't help me start mapping any sooner. I want audio files... sounds... ghost sounds... wind sounds.. maps, models, textures... I WANT IT ALL just to map. Oh so should people just make ALL their textures now? Sure, we are provided with minimal amounts. It just doesn't make sense they give us hammer, but it kind of feels wrong to "borrow" sounds, textures, and models when movies do it all the time. Every now and then, you'll hear this very common scream from a movie as if they can't afford recording. If only I gave a crap about how important intelligence could become, I could give examples of every movie that shared the same audio recordings for their cinematic entertainment.

I dunno how many times already stated, but Joe, just fucking open the Hammer and dive in. If you did start mapping when you first time asked me about it around Stone Age, you'd be pretty good mapper by now if you put time into it. What it seems to me, you still haven't done even the first test map to see very basics of mapping.

Also, as an advice to anyone wanting to map for NMRiH: Lay down basic-gameplay of your map in dev-textures and test it in HL2EP2 with its regular zombies. When NMRiH-beta is released, there will be the needed files to configure the map for NMRiH.

Posted Image

#17 themanofwar

themanofwar

Tester

• Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Games
    Movies
    Soccer
    Mapping

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

The problems that i face whenever i map is that i just can't get the scale of buildings,objects and things right when i use brushes. Whenever i look at it in hammer, it looks perfect. Then i load it up in the game and dislike it.
I have like 588 mapping hours but never ever created a map, although i came pretty close once.

#18 sotapoika

sotapoika

Level Designer/Moderator

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

The problems that i face whenever i map is that i just can't get the scale of buildings,objects and things right when i use brushes. Whenever i look at it in hammer, it looks perfect. Then i load it up in the game and dislike it.
I have like 588 mapping hours but never ever created a map, although i came pretty close once.

http://developer.val...wiki/Dimensions

Posted Image

#19 Garbonzo

Garbonzo

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

What tends to help is to memorize ideal dimensions of doorways and walls, or after making all the doorways in a certain room put down a info_player_start to see how the door will look to someone in the map.

Also, everything is fair game in the fgd? Because there are these tmp_mod tagged props that look REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY good

#20 Zer0Room4Zombies

Zer0Room4Zombies

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

www.editlife.net and www.iwannamap.com is dead. Can you edit your post?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users