• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Level design, Digital film and special effects, Screen writing, System of a down, stand up comedy.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

hey guys just thought id show you how far the port is for this survival, i use the safezone points a little differently to flooded and im looking forward to having beta testers rip it apart lol

heres some screens

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." - Mark Twain

Author of 

nms_Isolated

nms_ransack

nmo_brooklyn

nmo_fema

#2 sotapoika

sotapoika

Level Designer/Moderator

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hey, that's pretty nice! Looking forward to release.

Posted Image

- When there is No More Room In Hell, go find your place somewhere else. -

#3 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Level design, Digital film and special effects, Screen writing, System of a down, stand up comedy.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hey, that's pretty nice! Looking forward to release.

thanks sota, i was hoping you may be able to help me on the last stages, having a few minor issues like it crashing when a wave spawns, rarely the same wave but the most common is just after supply drop, sound familiar at all?

Author of 

nms_Isolated

nms_ransack

nmo_brooklyn

nmo_fema

#4 themanofwar

themanofwar

Tester

• Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Games
    Movies
    Soccer
    Mapping

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Looks nice.

#5 sotapoika

sotapoika

Level Designer/Moderator

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

thanks sota, i was hoping you may be able to help me on the last stages, having a few minor issues like it crashing when a wave spawns, rarely the same wave but the most common is just after supply drop, sound familiar at all?

Hmm.. seems weird, because if wave-system had some flaws, it shouldn't work at all. My advice is that you double-check all your spawners so they're not clipping too much into geometry and that they all are fine. I don't know where else the problem could be.

What kind of system you have for the safezones? Does your map only have one zone?

Posted Image

#6 Riley

Riley

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Interests:Shipping

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

If it crashes again check your Source SDK Base 2007 and post up the .dmps which are dated in the times in which your game crashes while on your map here

#7 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

If it crashes again check your Source SDK Base 2007 and post up the .dmps which are dated in the times in which your game crashes while on your map here

its a regular thing, anoteh rgent on here mention these files i think, now i know where to look thx

Author of 

nms_Isolated

nms_ransack

nmo_brooklyn

nmo_fema

#8 Agatsu

Agatsu

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hey, Night of the Living Dead! Nice. ^^

Agatsu sounds like he almost knows what he's talking about.

#9 Lt.Hargrove

Lt.Hargrove

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

It's defintely better than my VISkiller. It looks very good and has it's "classic" feeling of survival map. It's all well-known: house, silos, woods - a classic rural survival.

I wish you luck!
Lololololololololo

#10 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hmm.. seems weird, because if wave-system had some flaws, it shouldn't work at all. My advice is that you double-check all your spawners so they're not clipping too much into geometry and that they all are fine. I don't know where else the problem could be.

What kind of system you have for the safezones? Does your map only have one zone?

ill double check the clipping as well because the system usually works it just erraticly throws up the "random spawn brush" error you can see on the screen shots, but I quadrupedal check all the spawn brush's, I assumed the spawn brushes were like nav attribute region brushes, so thy do clip into the ground a few units, perhaps that's the problem.

as for the safe zones, this is probably what flooded does any-ways but to be honest I haven't had a huge chance to dive into flooded so i don't know. the way I've set-up the safe zones is so all the safe zones correspond to an entry point into the house, apart from the basement which is kind of a fall back point
Posted Image

theres quite a bit more around the house than in this screenshot, the basic weapons are in the basement for spawn, but explore outside for more basicly the upper level has plenty of barricade planks and some extra weapons,

ZONES D AND C ARE THE WRONG WAY ROUND ON THE PIC SORRY :s

Edited by lou saffire, 27 March 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Author of 

nms_Isolated

nms_ransack

nmo_brooklyn

nmo_fema

#11 The Reverend

The Reverend

NMRiH's Bad Joke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Looks great.

#12 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

ok its still doing it, ive found the "mdmp" files in sdk 2007 but I cant seem to open them, what program should I be opening them with?

Author of 

nms_Isolated

nms_ransack

nmo_brooklyn

nmo_fema

#13 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

well i uploaded it for peeps to have a look anyways , hopefully you guys can shed some light on this frustrating issue lol

http://www.mediafire.com/?fa5a81of54ibjx8

Author of 

nms_Isolated

nms_ransack

nmo_brooklyn

nmo_fema

#14 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

ok i think i fixed it but really cant be sure, the zombie spawns were using targets id setup when i was still in dev texture phase and forgot to remove, it seems to be working now, what i really could do with is someone to test it, however im not 100% about exporting for nmrih, for l4d2 i usually have to create a .vpk, is it the same for this?

Author of 

nms_Isolated

nms_ransack

nmo_brooklyn

nmo_fema

#15 sotapoika

sotapoika

Level Designer/Moderator

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

ok i think i fixed it but really cant be sure, the zombie spawns were using targets id setup when i was still in dev texture phase and forgot to remove, it seems to be working now, what i really could do with is someone to test it, however im not 100% about exporting for nmrih, for l4d2 i usually have to create a .vpk, is it the same for this?

No. Seems like you're newbie..

You compile your map and you create navmesh for it. Then you see "nms_mapname.bsp" and "nms_mapname.nav" in your nmrih/maps folder. Those are the files one needs to play the survival map.

Posted Image

#16 Riley

Riley

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Interests:Shipping

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

well i uploaded it for peeps to have a look anyways , hopefully you guys can shed some light on this frustrating issue lol

http://www.mediafire...fa5a81of54ibjx8

ssba should check it out soon

#17 Agatsu

Agatsu

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

I'm up for some testing. Would need someone from Europe to try MP though.

Agatsu sounds like he almost knows what he's talking about.

#18 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

No. Seems like you're newbie..

You compile your map and you create navmesh for it. Then you see "nms_mapname.bsp" and "nms_mapname.nav" in your nmrih/maps folder. Those are the files one needs to play the survival map.

how dare you sir lol
no man not a noob just been developing mainy on l4d2, and to release a map for that you need the bsp and nav files in a folder structure with a mission.txt. info and all custom resources inside a folder structure etc etc releasing is a discipline into itself on l4d2 lol, that's great news though, just the bsp and nav, like heaven! lol

BTW i strongly believe i have the issue licked, i was trying to be a smart arse by setting targets for the zombie spawn when i started porting this and hadnt changed it, i presume the spawning structure for survival does not like that.

well if its just the bsp and nav....then i can release a version for testing in oooo lets say a couple of hours, whats teh best way to do this guys pm teh beta testers or just throw it out on the forum?

Author of 

nms_Isolated

nms_ransack

nmo_brooklyn

nmo_fema

#19 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

I'm up for some testing. Would need someone from Europe to try MP though.

well im in england so its not too far

Author of 

nms_Isolated

nms_ransack

nmo_brooklyn

nmo_fema

#20 sotapoika

sotapoika

Level Designer/Moderator

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

how dare you sir lol
no man not a noob just been developing mainy on l4d2, and to release a map for that you need the bsp and nav files in a folder structure with a mission.txt. info and all custom resources inside a folder structure etc etc releasing is a discipline into itself on l4d2 lol, that's great news though, just the bsp and nav, like heaven! lol

BTW i strongly believe i have the issue licked, i was trying to be a smart arse by setting targets for the zombie spawn when i started porting this and hadnt changed it, i presume the spawning structure for survival does not like that.

well if its just the bsp and nav....then i can release a version for testing in oooo lets say a couple of hours, whats teh best way to do this guys pm teh beta testers or just throw it out on the forum?

Hehe, no hard feelings. By newbie I just meant that you're used to the new way used in L4D/2, and not the old system long before L4D. I think I know how it works in L4D/2 with .vpk files, good way to separate content from vanilla game and to not replace content by mistake if campaign has some default textures modified or something. Also easy to get rid of the custom map if it has custom content as it's all in one .vpk file and not scattered around in folders.

And yea, I guess the target-thing messed up something in your map, because in Survival mode zombies go after players or zones. I think there aren't any targets set in Flooded.

So, pack your .bsp and .nav and release a beta of your map to public and see how people like it. You also get feedback that way better from larger audience. I'm sure there's people craving for a NotLD map, and our rather small mapping-department is busy working on other maps so our cabin/farmhouse map(s) for Survival are coming some day in distant future. :D

When you release, make a release thread of your map and keep this thread to show progress and other wip between each version, so the release thread can have nicely feedback and discussion of the released version map without any other hassle. Me or someone else in our team can do the renaming of the thread (like, nms_isolated [BETA 1] to nms_isolated [BETA 2] and so on..) when you get new version of the map, so don't worry about that. Just remember to info one of us.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users