Photo

Which is more optimised for a map I describe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jangsy5

jangsy5

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

So the outdoor part of my map is kind of bugging me. Since there are wide open space with buildings among it. The problem is if I set the walls and floors of the building as a world brush it'll carve the large visleaves into small pieces. So I thought I'd make the structures into detail brushes. But then I realised that lights are cast for world before func_detail brushes and might look awkward. Also creating areaportals won't work since they aren't considered solids when calculating leaks for areaportals.

I know this is terribly worded but which would be better? If I assume an outdoor map is one big hollowed cube would it be better to create multiple visleaf using world brushes (that might help hide some objects) or do I use func_detail so there's only 1 huge visleaf (but then everything in that visleaf is rendered once you can see it).

If that's still too vague for a question how about: "did u use func_detail or world brush for the buildings in nms_flood?"
Posted Image

#2 vincent074

vincent074

Mapper

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

let me show you a pic of flooded with only the world brushes that block vis and with func_details on
(mind you that my version is a little bit newer than the public 1.03 build)

Posted Image

also, the bottom has a brush with tool/black applied so don't think I left it wide open

anyway, for more tips and tricks.. I suggest you read this guide http://optimization.interlopers.net/

#3 jangsy5

jangsy5

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hum... interesting. So you guys did use world brushes. I guess I'll redesign my map to accompany for more visleafs. Maybe it'll help with optimisation.
Posted Image

#4 vincent074

vincent074

Mapper

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

if all else fails you can have thick fog with the far z clipping turned on

#5 Disposable Henchman

Disposable Henchman

Replaceable

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:Being Cannon Fodder

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

if all else fails you can have thick fog with the far z clipping turned on

sady this is what I restort to....

altho it does actually makes perfect sense in the context of my map!
Posted Image

NMRiH isn't meant to be easy. It's meant to be an unforgiving punch to the dick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users