#1 Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Things.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Well, it's really frustrating to be boarding up doors and get stuck in them, having to slowly as hell switch to a melee weapon to destroy the board, that also removes the resource...I hope this can be quickly fixed.

Also, what is causing my FPS to well, LOOK low?

I asked a guy about it and he said it was "normal"

I don't recall this, playing the normal mode much, but I guess it is there now that I see it.

Why does my FPS seem like it's @ 40-45FPS or lower at times, when it's @ 60?

Using MSI Afterburner, I have 60FPS constant, 900MB VRAM usage, about 30-40% GPU usage, and 40-45% CPU usage.

Game feels really sluggish, never seen another Source game / mod do this, unless I cap FPS @ 30-40FPS, which I did in Gmod and yeah, same feeling...so what gives, and can it be fixed?

On the topic of player clipping. While unrealistic, I think it needs to be put back in. You know how many times a person can just decide to randomly go AFK on the stairs? Well, you'd probably say not alot, but the past 3-4 games it's happened a few to many times, and NOT the same guy!

How many times I'd be trying to go one way and he'd be going another and we'd get stuck. I believe there should be limited clipping, like in MMO's. You know, you push against a guy for a second or two and then move through him, but there is collision normally.

----Specs----

Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHZ, 8GB RAM 1866MHZ, GTX470 OC'ed 30%(Increase Voltage), 128GB Samsung 830 SSD + 2 1TB HDDs.) Windows 7 64-bit Professional

Edited by Mkilbride, 02 March 2012 - 02:47 AM.

Posted Image
I don't know my limits, or maybe I do, and perhaps I just wish to defy them.

Don't like me? Fight me! http://mkilbride.mybrute.com/cellule

http://www.hivegaming.net/ [Hive Gaming: Game Servers, Premium Dedicated Hosting]

#2 Hellroom

Hellroom

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

Yeh about fps, when playing on flooded I did Cl_showfps 1 and I noticed my fps would dip to 30 (28 the lowest it seemed to go) at points.

I have i7 2.66ghz

12gb ram

HD4870X2

Im thinking its an incredibly demanding mod or maybe my motherboard is on its last legs or something.

Being alone was like a strong spiritual windy force against you... but not like it's pushing you, but felt there... as if your soul; every soul had a very deep and dark elevator to the center of the Earth; thath a very dark and sacred... holy place brought by time, fire, and darkness.

#3 jangsy5

jangsy5

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

The game for some reason tends to lower fps. Don't worry, I'm sure they're dealing with it since the initial release had terrible frame rates that were much worse than it is now; what you see is an improved version.

The melee system is kind of chunky but I guess that was deliberate so you can't quick draw weapons. Also the game sort of have issues with clipping. Sometimes dynamic doors will go through players and the player gets stuck. I wish they'll add a push rule that pushes both players in opposite direction a little if they collide (l4d series and css does it well). This might help with the afk people from blocking paths since they'll move out of the way when you collide with them.

On a side note the game initially didn't have collision for players, so people won't get trapped in tight corners. But then in most of the servers the FF is on so people could accidentally hit a player that just went through them. That's why they added collisions.
Posted Image

#4 Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

No, it's not that.

Thing is, Garry's Mod for example, can use up to 80% of my CPU. So, Source Engine 2007 can use all 4 cores if they need them, it's odd why NMRiH isn't. I might be mistaken though, and Garry's Mod could use Source 2009...

If only Valve would allow modders access to Source 2(Portal 2 & Dear Esther use it.)So much better coded & performance.

As for my GPU, 30-40% usage. Other Source mods, HL2 default included, can make use of 99% of my GPU. I was looking back at the house earlier and I had as low as 30FPS, yes.

However, CPU usage was 40%, and GPU usage was 30%. Neither were being used to their fullest, and I am no way being bottlenecked by my CPU. 2500K @ 4.5GHZ. Not much I can do, I guess. I've read about people with even stronger systems achieving the same results...

It's not the devs fault either, at least I don't think. We can't even change the FoV, so they must be using an old revision of Source 2007 or something. 75 FoV is quite low and looks zoomed in with fists, nothing we can do about that though.

Cmon Valve, release Source 2, so that everyone can gain the benefits.
Posted Image

http://www.hivegaming.net/ [Hive Gaming: Game Servers, Premium Dedicated Hosting]

#5 ssba

ssba

Lead Programmer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts
  • Interests:101100010110

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

No, it's not that.

Thing is, Garry's Mod for example, can use up to 80% of my CPU. So, Source Engine 2007 can use all 4 cores if they need them, it's odd why NMRiH isn't. I might be mistaken though, and Garry's Mod could use Source 2009...

Garry's Mod uses a fully licensed Source engine, not the Source SDK.

Some of the perceived low framerate is probably due to the massive amount of NPCs, which gets made even worse by large open areas -- so everything could seem fine while inside the buildings but as soon as you go outside you start having all of the tens of zombies out there creating a large amount of network traffic. Have you tried using the increased cl_cmdrate / rate / etc. commands?

One does not simply F11 into Mordor.

#6 Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

Yes.

For every source Mod, I always do

cl_cmdrate 101
cl_updaterate 101
rate 25,000 / 30,000

Still, fully licensed or not, the Engine itself, regardless of the tools, is there, even though I know you can't really make major changes to the Engine.

I dunno, but I can play other Source mods that spawn lots of NPCs.

Infact, in Garry's Mod, hate to bring that up, as you say, fully licensed Source Engine,

I can spawn about 100 NPC's before my FPS even dips into the 70's. At around 50-75 it's still 100+ FPS.

But the thing is, on a fresh server, LAN even, with just me...and say, 25 zombies, the FPS is 60, stays 60, but feels like 35-40FPS.
Posted Image

#7 ssba

ssba

Lead Programmer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts
  • Interests:101100010110

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I was talking about the "Source Engine 2007 can use all 4 cores" comment -- it's not like we have multi-core rendering in the SDK and are just choosing to disable it. (I think he uses 2009 engine anyways)

As for the cmdrate / rate commands, I'm talking about the recommended settings we posted (rate of 60000). The problem is that we are currently not using any sort of prediction or clientside animation on NPCs, which is mostly why it feels like there is low FPS (also is caused by the spawning system right now).

This is all stuff we're looking into fixing for future patches, and is why we are still in beta.

One does not simply F11 into Mordor.

#8 Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Ah, well, if it can be fixed, then I'm happy.

Source 2007 at least supports multi-cores, I know that, even the SDK version, I've read up about it.

And I see, that is why it feels like low FPS...and you -are- going to change it to a new system eventually, that's good.

There is a game that has issues like this. Natural Selection 2, it has server side animation and server side detection and whatnot, and it always seems like you have low FPS, even when you don't, and has poor performance. The developers of that game have said as well that it is something they are working on.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users