26 replies to this topic

#1 Bucky

Bucky

Texture Artist

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Now that survival mode has been released and some of you have played it, we want your feedback. This is should mainly be Survival feedback and not about objective mode. Try to limit one reply per person, and if you want to add to your list, just edit it. Keep your post quite clean using lists.

Example:

Pros-
  • Blah blah 1
  • Blah blah 2
  • Survival mode is the best!

Cons-
  • Blah blah 1
  • Blah blah 2
  • Survival mode is shit, go back to 1.02 immediately!

Suggestions- (list or short paragraph.)
  • Blah blah 1
  • Blah blah 2
  • I think you get the point by now...

Thanks for your feedback and we will continue to make No More Room in Hell better with each patch!

#2 Lt.Hargrove

Lt.Hargrove

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Pros-

Different from objective mode
Barricading system
Lone-wolfing is impossible

Cons-

Certain death
Zombies spawn in the playable area
Supply drops don't drop enough ammunition

Suggestions-

Make zombies come from unplayable areas (map boundaries)
Make the wave size dependend on the amount of players
Lololololololololo

#3 Hicks

Hicks

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Pros-

Barricading system

Cons-

Certain death

Suggestions-

Make zombies come from unplayable areas (map boundaries)
Make the wave size dependend on the amount of players

The same. A bit more ammo, also it would be good to be synced with the weapons on the map. Most of the time there is ammo for a weapons that nobody have. Zombies coming from out of the map into the map is great idea too. Like I said - I share the same pros and cons and suggestions.

#4 dieger

dieger

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:games,religion, murder,genocide,cats,etc.

the standard

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

PROS:
- cool mode different then other survival modes
- very teamwork orientated
- nice new voice acting and zombie models

CONS:
- multiple glitches
- infection rate is way to high you get infected way too much!
- almost no shotguns ammo yet alot of shotguns
- almost no pistols but tons of pistol ammo!
- needs more servers (if possible :D)
- do glowsticks do anything? :D
- hatchet is very weak!

great update BTW :D look forward to 1.3.1!

If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.

-The Duchess

http://www.kickstart...the-painful-rpg

kickstart dis shit

#5 ytman

ytman

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

Pros-
-Neat basic concept of King of the Hill.
-Cool Heli-drops with risk reward.
-Tense and harsh.

Cons-
-Server Lag with large waves.
-Too much focus on combat... which is frankly the weakest part of this mod
-Zombies do not do well with stairs
-Zombies get hung up on barricades frequently
-Poor lighting, while great for atmosphere is bad for gameplay (without a reasonable counter)
-Small map is very small
-Ammo issues, never the right ammo

Suggestions-
-Melee needs to be waay more nuanced. This will be the hardest part to do I bet...

Edited by ytman, 02 March 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#6 Snoopie

Snoopie

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

Pros-

Barricading system

Cons-

I've always thought this make it so that pill cure the infection because quite frankly there incredibly rare

Suggestions-

Do Away with the zone system its awful considering zombies spawn in the houses

#7 Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Things.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

Yes.

Zombie spawning inside the building is very lame.

HEre is what I picture.

Zombies coming from the edge of the map, slowly encircling the houses. Players go outside and try to keep them away from the house, say in Squads of 2 each, since 8 players, 4 squads, so they can cover each part of the house.

As the waves increase, survivors are forced inside, barricading more, abandoning sections of the house.

For example, imagine if we had a large complex type map, where zombies came from only one direction, but as with waves, they kept increasing. Forcing you to "block off" areas, and focus on preserving key areas. I think something like this would do very well, not to sound to generic, but something like The Hive from Resident Evil, most Zombie games have some form of it, and I think it'd work well with NMRiH. Lock doors, perma, and zombies bust in other areas, and you have to scavenge and survive.

I'd like to see some maps not be the same "run to an area, escape".

I'd like to see some with puzzles...with things to do...currently, there are no puzzles...don't even joke and say Cabin has them, cause it doesn't.
Posted Image
I don't know my limits, or maybe I do, and perhaps I just wish to defy them.

Don't like me? Fight me! http://mkilbride.mybrute.com/cellule

http://www.hivegaming.net/ [Hive Gaming: Game Servers, Premium Dedicated Hosting]

#8 Grufdak

Grufdak

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

My first immpression of survival of playing it a first short time.

Pros-

you have to be in movement to defend the zones.

it is important to share all the ammunition and weapons to progress far.

helicopter with the supplies gives players equipped with only melee weapons the chance to get a gun.

Cons-

supplybag chest do not respawn (or I donīt played far enough? The highest wave was five until now).

ammunition run very fast out so you have to fight in close combat the most time.

its not clear to which times the helicopter is coming. Every 2-3 waves? I donīt know. I have to play survival longer to figure that out.

at wave start the zombies spawn is to near to the zones. You donīt have the time to regroup or to get an overview about the situation.

Suggestions-

I think a fight until the death would be more exciting but it could be frustrating if just some people play that good (or they uses god spots) they donīt get killed during the others are waiting in
the spectator mode.

#9 WBX

WBX

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Pros-
This survival mode is very unique I love it!
Nice open wide spaces and variety of weapons/items everywhere on the map.
The helicopter dropping supply boxes in random spots is really insane sometimes.
Survival Mode is really intense because with my friends always dies at Wave 7 every time even with teamwork and yet it's so fun to play this lol. Also I been wondering what is the last wave/longest wave in Survival Mode.

Cons-
During the barricade animations sometimes glitches you into the wall or stuck in the middle of the doorway when the board is placed.
When carry a First Aid Box you have put it in the highlighted spot in a certain way in Zone A and B. Sometimes with my friend were stuck trying put the box in the highlighted spot and took us about an hour to get it to work.
During in every wave there's usually a flaregun spawned on a stairway next to the van on the bottom floor of Zone A. When spawns my friends and I tried to pick up the flaregun, but it didn't work because their was a invisible wall in that spot.

#10 geared117

geared117

Reanimating

• Real Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Zombies, Mapping, Gaming.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Pros - New mode, new props, new zombie textures, improved zombie AI, new weapons, new map.

Cons - You can't tell if zombies are breaking down your barricade. Add sounds like in CoD : Zombies when they break a board, you hear it break if your close enough. First aid box seems really huge, tone down the size or make player slower carrying a big box, also box is bigger then doorway but walks right through doorway. Only one map was added

Suggestions - Add sounds when boards are breaking, so you know they are coming from downstairs or up. Supply bag should do 15% instead of only 10%. First aid box model size either needs to be toned down, or make player slower when carrying it as its a big box. More maps ( I hope to introduce my newest survival map to WIP forum this weekend.)

Besides one or two things, this was a very excellent patch keep up the good work NMRIH team. I will see you guys in the mapping competition.

#11 Hellroom

Hellroom

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Pro's:

Has potential, with tweaking it'll be a good Gamemode.

Fun to be had when a team makes an effort at Defense.

Jive has become my go-to Character.

Cons:

Annoying lose condition

Performance issues (Survival seems more demanding than objective maps)

Unable to fully appreciate new weapons due to lack of ammo (never managed to find the hatchet either)

Suggestions:

Portable traps e.g. pick up relevant materials, set them by doors/windows (hold E, red progress bar, then trap is set) for instance, setting a firetrap in a doorway/ base of window. Either that or pre-set ones you have to rearm/find a component for.

2x4 with nails as new melee weapon (powerful but perishable, starts to break/lose power the more its used) would be a good option for those who like to use the barricade boards.

Destroyable objects to place in doorways/entrances that are useable in the same way as the barricade boards (e.g. tables/chairs)

Text prompts to tell players what items are for e.g. Fema bags, Health boxes (that you have to place them in the zones)

I would suggest bigger maps with fallback zones, but even with 2 there are performance issues currently.

Some smaller weapons (Hammer/wrench) you can't use the torch with (im assuming this is to be added in and not intentionally left out)

A Dead Island esque conversation/trade system for interacting with other players.

Being alone was like a strong spiritual windy force against you... but not like it's pushing you, but felt there... as if your soul; every soul had a very deep and dark elevator to the center of the Earth; thath a very dark and sacred... holy place brought by time, fire, and darkness.

#12 VaTTeRGeR

VaTTeRGeR

Environment Artist

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Pros:
- new gamemode, it has very much potential, just as the whole mod :)
- awesome mapping and nice props
- more teamplay
- better "survival-feeling", cause of base defending and managing supplies

Cons:
- NOT ENOUGH TIME BETWEEN WAVES. this somehow destroys the roleplay element a bit,
cause you dont have any time to build your base with love :D
- zombies stand 2 meters away from barricades and already destroy them,
they can hit the player then, even if hes not in range

Suggestions:
- cars/trucks bringing supplies with them and/or respawning survivors, as addition to the chopper

Greets#

#13 Trotskygrad

Trotskygrad

Zombie

• Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

- cars/trucks bringing supplies with them and/or respawning survivors, as addition to the chopper

lol no, if cars can get in, survivors can get out

nope.

pros: feels nice, nice concept, boxes are interesting

cons: zone system is really arbitrary, ammo/gun mismatch, spawning is wonky, barricades are a bit weak. infection is too easy (maybe there should be a cure in selected drops?)

Edited by Trotskygrad, 12 March 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#14 Chris

Chris

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:41 AM

Pros -
  • Fresh, new gamemode with exciting potential
  • New content is great
Cons -
  • Zone system is frustrating
  • Ammo and weapons do not match
  • No rest between waves
  • Zombies spawn inside/too close to zones
  • Zombies and barricades are glitchy
  • Map is glitchy in some aspects i.e. grabbing weapons off some crates is annoying, you have to jump
  • In general it's too easy to become infected
Suggestion - Add feature to switch to lose when all players dead. Also, maybe the drugs cure you entirely.

Edited by Chris, 03 March 2012 - 04:49 AM.

#15 Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

Pros -
  • Fun new gamemode
  • Involves more teamwork (In later waves)
  • Interesting concepts

Cons -
  • Crashes when a heli is supposed to show. (on Wave 3 or when a flare gun is shot into the air)
  • Zombies spawn a little too close to zones.
  • Barricades seem weak... mabye just a per map problem.
  • *Trying to sort and share ammo is a hassle

*Maybe add a way to sort ammo better... Maybe like hold E to pick up the ammo box without actually adding it to your inventory so you can move and place it on tables and such.

#16 Lucio 1995

Lucio 1995

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

Cons-

I've always thought this make it so that pill cure the infection because quite frankly there incredibly rare

Only for that mode, i agree, they should change the model and name to say "Phalanx v2" or something so you know that it does something different.

#17 Forgotten

Forgotten

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

Hi, haven't posted, but I just got through running Survival at my LAN party, and I have a bunch of feedback from those that I had here.

Barricades

-We love the barricading. However, two boards on a door or window isn't very "canon". Zombies will slip through. If you have to keep it to very few boards, then at least tilt where the boards go, at an angle, so that the haste and panic is conferred through the barricade itself.

That leads to our second observation, not enough boards on the windows. I am sure two boards is a design decision based on something. But, at later waves, barricading becomes a joke, as they are just bashed through very quickly. Since we have very few boards available to start with anyhow, making the boards tougher, or allowing a certain amount of boards allocated to a door or window makes it invulnerable. Or gives it triple hitpoints. We had six people, and even if it was our first time playing the mod, we were forced into the second stories early on, without having much of a chance.

House Health

I can see why this dynamic is thought to be needed, to force people to actively deal with the zombies so that the zombies have the advantage of numbers and you HAVE to go deal with them instead of biding your time. But we really really hated this. It didn't feel realistic, but I understand thinking you need the dynamic. But we found it incredibly hard with only six people, and setting up a good defense was extremely hard. And it became extremely frustrating because we love the whole idea of this mode.

Zombies Spawning In The Houses

I assume this was to make it more horrible and terrifying. And it works. But it also disallows any sort of defense to be set up. You're too busy looking for weapons, boards, etc, and then putting up boards is of little consequence when there are already zombies in the room with you. Either more time before the spawn occurs is needed, or to just have them spawn immediately outside. This was the general consensous.

Thanks for working on this mod, we really do enjoy it, and it makes us all scream like little girls when we get grabbed. Maybe a bit less grabbing would be nice, however. It's a very hard mod to get through, mayhaps a bit too hard for people to get into and not be immediately turned off.

Thanks.
"Organize before they rise!"
— Max Brooks

#18 Disposable Henchman

Disposable Henchman

Replaceable

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:Being Cannon Fodder

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Suggestions:

Is there any way you guys could make it so we can tweak survival mode zone health in hammer editor? I'd like to be able to weaken it or maybe even make it stronger, depending on the area and circumstances, would be very much appreciated.

similarily to how TF2's capture points work. They can take 1-2 minutes to capture, or be as quick as 10 seconds, depending on how they are setup in the level editor.
Posted Image

NMRiH isn't meant to be easy. It's meant to be an unforgiving punch to the dick.

#19 bruudwin

bruudwin

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

PROS
Made an account just now just so I can give y'all feedback on this gem of a new dealy ding.

Different than objective based.

Barricade n boards system is obviously more useful here

CONS
from my experience, every time attempt to use the flaregun = server shutdown\glitch\error whatever negative word to describe a server going down.

almost always had tons of ammo for guns we did not have, and never had ammo for guns that did spawn.

helicopter only drops weapons, how about some ammo too?

played several hours, not sure if the health box and the repair Fema duffel bags ever respawn, usually from what I played (up to wave 7-8+) was always just one box of each.

When boarding with just one board in certain doorways, there's a gap enough to crouch walk underneath it, but just when you're under the board the dirt or walkway right beneath you may jut out a tiny bit preventing you to crouch walk under the board, so you have to get back out from under it, and learn to jump over the board.

also you can use the sides of stairways to hit zombies while they sluggishly go back up n down trying to nab you.

SUGGESTIONS

obviously since this is just a random defend area type setting, with the Random everything system (ammo, weapons etc) perhaps there should be a few set areas where default weapons and ammo will always spawn, that way you can at least some people can have a gun And perhaps a clip of ammo. while the rest can be random. as in most peoples CONS have said, too much randomness with ammo and guns.
if you were to escape and defend\live in an area as based in the Flood story, when the flash floods hit you have to have had some kind of preparations? if you were to have taken a few weapons at least their respective ammos too!

besides the health and repair boxes, an ammo drop\box of some sort, so the chopper can just keep dropping guns n melle weapons, OR the chopper drops guns n weapons (as indicated on one half of the huge crate it drops) while the other half contains some misc ammo (or ammo for the weapons it drops plus some extra) because I don't know about you but, if I were to give someone a gun, I'd probably give them a few bullets to go with it too!

Also perhaps there should be a system of using the boards that isn't predetermined such as that of Zombie Panic source , example, sticking the two boards (assuming you keep it a 2 boards limit) on a doorway, horizontally at a slightly lower area then the pre-determined 'ghost images' when setting a board will allow players easier access to jump over, or more boards on a doorway \ stronger boards... but if you board up a doorway too much than you can only hit\shoot over the boards as you boarded too much to manuever around it. (crouching, jumping over it)

when y'all make more survival mode maps, as others have suggested, the zombies come out from the boundaries of the maps and\or from odd deteremined areas. (exa if there were a nearby graveyard... they'd pop from the graves of course.) but please please, based off of the nice Flood story, even though they do come out from the water (which is everywhere on the map) does not mean they have to show up right Outside a spawn area!!! that's crazy!) such as the sucken semi truck thingy, the back area of it (the trailer) is useful as items might be in it... BUT there is a surprisingly big body of water by that too... (a small pond lake area) so zombies could pop out of the water there as you try to run into the trailer n pick stuff up.

Besides the helicopter, perhaps there can be some sort of flash flood aspect? besides the chopper maybe a nearby water source (river etc) overspills some misc box\items nearby by the edge of a map.
so things would just float on by and just spawn on the edges of a map in determines areas, misc items such as crates, weapons, ammo, a boat? misc things that you may or may not be able to utilize.

continuing on flashflood thingy perhaps if the above were implemented, there could also be a devastating flash flood. a warning will pop up similiar to a chopper\wave incoming, and the water level of the map in general will rise so and so inches, making movement sloggy\sluggish, and\or making the first floor areas impossible to utilize, so everyone would be forced to stay on high ground for a wave or so, so wherever you were last round and the flash flood pops up... run to higher ground or get drowned\died. the areas I would suggest to not be able to utilize well if not at all if a flash flood type thing were to happen, would be most if not all of the 1st floor areas of the zone A n B areas (so zombies can go thru these areas n not over take the zones, they would have to go up the stairs n start taking over the zones on their respective 2nd floor areas)

Came up with a new one, on the 1.03 Update picture, we saw a person shooting through the holes made by zombies smashing down a door.
that would be a neat feature, be able to either, lock a door, or place a board holding the door in place (assuming it swings inwards) so that the zombies will have to smash the door, and smashing the door = gradual deterioration effect where they end up smashing in holes allowing players to hit\shoot back at zombies vice versa through the holes. (assuming if player get within zombie melee range or zombie is in players melee range etc)

Edited by bruudwin, 12 March 2012 - 06:05 PM.

Well now...'how'

#20 Varenvel

Varenvel

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Pros-
-Nice atmosphere
-Survival is quite balanced
-Flashlight is luxury!
-Nice sounds/music
-Scavenging is fun

Cons-
-Very hard game (im not seeking easy games dont get me wrong but zombies are too strong)
-shotgun ammo is so rare i seen it twice in 10 days of playing 6 hours+- a day , and i seen soooo maaaaany shoooottguns
-kid zombies need nerf , big one , they can easyly kill you , with small server lag they got higher melee range then you do they ether need lower hp or very very small melee range , they are fast they don't need to be unbeatable challenge for most players because of small lag
-Survival zone health is hard for 96% of players is confusing a lot and lose lose and lose again because they don't know what to do and finally someone says "protect the zone!" but that don't helps a lot ether

Suggestions- (list or short paragraph.)
-more spawning shotgun ammo (other ammo is not that bad , would be great if gun spawns tho there is ammo box nearby , it dont need to have lots ammo but extra ammo would help)
-please i beg , nerf kid zombies on some aspect , ether lower their hp to 1 hit for most weapons or give them very short melee range so they are no unbeatable challenge on lag
-find alternative to zone survival , maybe protect certain object inside
-waves are too fast in survival , i personally never got past 4th wave
-one of biggest coon is spawning and garbing weapon , spawn seams weird often throwing you on same re spawn , occasionally too delaying your re spawn(others got even 10 seconds to grab stuff before you even spawn) and your left with nothing , no gun , no flashlight no melee , would be great if on SPAWN you get chance to get firearm ,flashlight/melee and less items in spawn area , on 1 server i was not able to grab anything for 4 rounds because of anything spawn
-Infection ether needs nerf or pills should cure infection permanently as it happens too often(not every time but often enough to be very annoying)
- zombies re spawning in rooms just cleared is more then annoying , i understand if you would walk out and came back after 2mins zombies would be inside but walking to room B to find room A is already full of zombies? come on....
-game needs relief times , as more bigger indoors where there are less zombies/are easier to control , get ammo , find weapons , get breath of fresh air from horde to get back into the warzone (example cafee just after cinema/mechanic where you walk upstairs but just 1 apartment is unlocked and other is locked , how about there would be 3 apartments?)
-Respawns? , right now its not so bad as maps are small , but there should be certain 1 or 2 times where your team can respawn(whole team not just 1 person) , there could be not many weapons or ammo in respawn area , but having second chance would be great! because right now game is frustrating , you don't get good weapon , you get left behind , you get infected or get overwhelmed and you ether wait forever for round end....or join other server and thats not cool....
-im not sure if thats buggy a lot but iv been having issues doing HS at close range with revolver and berreta(not with colt1911 or other weapons) as bullet hit was not around head on wall behind(clearing i missed) but most likely behind head i was supposed to hit i think something may be wrong there with hitboxes
-puzzles? like silent hill or resident evil? where certain member needs to solve random puzzle (type password whos short but not given) or things like that while others needs to fend off horde? that would add nice twist to game

Edited by Varenvel, 20 March 2012 - 09:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users