• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Level design, Digital film and special effects, Screen writing, System of a down, stand up comedy.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hey everyone, im working on a "chapter" (map) for nmrih, its an urban map aiming for a realistic feel with believable objectives. im posting screens for now just to get some feedback on things like lighting and style, i will post more pics as work progresses but for now here its
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

thanks for viewing !

Edited by lou saffire, 19 January 2012 - 01:21 PM.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." - Mark Twain

siglou_zpscd1ff1fb.png

Author of 

nms_Isolated - nms_ransack - nmo_brooklyn - nmo_fema

#2 Disposable Henchman

Disposable Henchman

Replaceable

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:Being Cannon Fodder

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

looks fucking amazing already.
Posted Image

NMRiH isn't meant to be easy. It's meant to be an unforgiving punch to the dick.

#3 themanofwar

themanofwar

Tester

• Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Games
    Movies
    Soccer
    Mapping

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Looks good so far

only the street lighting looks really bright compared to the outer parts of the city such as the buildings

#4 VIOLATION

VIOLATION

Reanimating

• Real Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Looks great. I just wish it was a different theme considering we already have nmo_broadway.

Posted Image

#5 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Level design, Digital film and special effects, Screen writing, System of a down, stand up comedy.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Looks good so far

only the street lighting looks really bright compared to the outer parts of the city such as the buildings

thats true, ideally im planning on light sources being anything other than the top down street lights, but im also colour blind so i have to be very dilligent when im altering them because i wont be able to tell in some cases so the street lights are helping me through the development stage mainly

siglou_zpscd1ff1fb.png

Author of 

#6 Agatsu

Agatsu

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

A challenger appears!
Looks awesome, dude.
Maybe give the outside colors a blue-ish moonlighty feel that goes with the sky.

Agatsu sounds like he almost knows what he's talking about.

#7 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Looks great. I just wish it was a different theme considering we already have nmo_broadway.

i know what your saying, but i have not gone in the same direction as broadway, cities are usually diverse enough to be different without much too and fro, also from my perspective the cities are where the interesting stories really are, rural maps can be nice visual treat but urban maps are the signature of the genre, but most of all in my mind the horror element for the zombie apocalypse is being able to relate and recognise the unpleasant world your surviving in, which is really at the core of this idea.
the start area could really be anybodys home, same for the streets and back alleys etc.
All that said i do understand that the urban apocalypse can come across as clich'e, visually at least, so i have made a concious effort to not repeat locations and atmospheres already released and to make sure my objectives are the kind of ideas people would think of, getting the zombie survival guide for xmas helped.

regardless thanks for teh feedback so far guys all important points.

Lou

siglou_zpscd1ff1fb.png

Author of 

#8 Agatsu

Agatsu

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

I LOVE urban maps. That's where the zombie apocalypse is AT.
I mean, look at The Walking Dead TV series: Season 1 urban setting: Awesometown. Season 2 little house on the prairy: Laaaaaame.
I also agree that the atmosphere works much better when the surroundings are familiar, but the setting bizarre (in this case, zombies), and I can relate to an urban area better than a military base. Not that I don't like those, but, you know...

#9 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

totally, thats not to say their should only be urban maps, day of the dead and night of the living dead are proof that you can be dynamic and still be true to form, i also have a night of the liing dead map ported over from my version of it on l4d2 but im waiting before i return to finishing that

siglou_zpscd1ff1fb.png

Author of 

#10 Maxx

Maxx

Project Lead

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts
  • Interests:4 8 15 16 23 42

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

The map is looking great so far.

I see a lot of white-ish light being used outside. Avoid using white lights as much as possible unless you want an area to look sterile.

Streetlights are traditionally either a white-blue, or a yellow/orange.

Like NMRiH? Add me on Facebook!
-- NMRiH Project Lead, Team Manager --
"less talk more getting naked" -- ssba
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

The map is looking great so far.

I see a lot of white-ish light being used outside. Avoid using white lights as much as possible unless you want an area to look sterile.

Streetlights are traditionally either a white-blue, or a yellow/orange.

appreciated i couldnt totally understand what i didnt like about that light, damn my eyes lol

siglou_zpscd1ff1fb.png

Author of 

#12 Agatsu

Agatsu

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'm yearning for a good "Day of the Dead"-map for NMRiH... :)

#13 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'm yearning for a good "Day of the Dead"-map for NMRiH... :)

well when i finish my dotd campagin for l4d2 ill see how big a job it would be to port it

siglou_zpscd1ff1fb.png

Author of 

#14 Gothic

Gothic

Lead Euro Tester

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Interests:Bass/Guitar/Vocals/Death Metal/Black Metal

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

this is sexy.

#15 ThoughT

ThoughT

Lead Composer / Music Director

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Interests:Music, writing and electronics, NMRiH

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

This is very nice and exciting to see! Great job man keep up the awesome work.

Not a dis to your map at all, but it would be very cool to see a day time map.

Check me out on SoundCloud: Click Here

#16 wmpunk

wmpunk

Reanimating

• Real Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

I think it would look awesome with rain

#17 Agatsu

Agatsu

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

Yup, rain would definitely be a plus.

#18 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

Daytime was something i was thinking about early on when i was planning it out, as the opening scene of day of the dead is perhaps my all time favorite movie moment! lol, but i wanted to "run with the stereotype" to begin with while im figuring out how nmrih ticks, as for rain well i avoided that cos it felt like was treading on "broadways" toes a little bit then, though i do agree rain is great for atmosphere, now you got me thinking of bladerunner lol.
Something which i am toying with at the moment is the structure of the objectives, i really like the idea of objectives being able to branch and particularly teh idea of failing an objective even though im still trying to think of an objective that players would "enjoy failing" say to speak, and also when the players fail what happens then?, the obvious things seems to be like the "adventure" books i used to read as a child " if you decide to open the box turn to page xx if you decide to ignore the box and carry on going turn to page xx" that kind of thing, but the obviously the failure route should be more difficult and less rewarding which in turn motivates players to succeed, the only snag with expanding on the objectives then is where do you stop?, you could put success and failure on every objective but then your building so many differnt routes players probably never finish the bloody map lol, so im still toying with how far to go on the objectives, one thing ive got my heart set on ( though im still building so i cant say for sure it will work) is having different "finales" and somewhere in teh middle of the map (perhaps success or failure) you will travel down the objectives branch to one finale or the other, each finale having its own particular objective, but as i say i cant be sure that this will work as i havnt built the evacuation logic into teh map yet so that remains to be seen

siglou_zpscd1ff1fb.png

Author of 

#19 lou saffire

lou saffire

Level Designer

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hey guys, nmo_downtown is about 75% complete, though not geographically vast the objectives keep the routes dynamic and taxing, this weekend i will post more screenshots and a rough walk through of what kind of objectives exist so far, i have stuck with the concept of 2 different finales depending on the objectives branch the players travel down, im still not 100% that 2 finales will hold up during the objectives building, but the mechanics all exist and can be absorbed into other objectives if not.

siglou_zpscd1ff1fb.png

Author of 

#20 sotapoika

sotapoika

Level Designer/Moderator

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hey guys, nmo_downtown is about 75% complete, though not geographically vast the objectives keep the routes dynamic and taxing, this weekend i will post more screenshots and a rough walk through of what kind of objectives exist so far, i have stuck with the concept of 2 different finales depending on the objectives branch the players travel down, im still not 100% that 2 finales will hold up during the objectives building, but the mechanics all exist and can be absorbed into other objectives if not.

Sounds like a good news to me. :) Keep it up!

Posted Image

- When there is No More Room In Hell, go find your place somewhere else. -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users