28 replies to this topic

#1 jaydubs

jaydubs

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

Just a thread to talk about anything you like in regards to weapons and items. Tidbits of information you've learned, strategies, your most and least favorites, anything at all.

My favorite weapons are the SKS on broadway and cabin, the chainsaw on chinatown.

I think the colt .45 is the worst pistol. The revolver can kill child zombies with 1 body shot. The beretta is better for emergencies, because it fires as fast as you can click (the revolver and colt have noticeable fire rate limits). It kills child zombies with 1 headshot and regular zombies with 2, so it can kill as many regular zombies in 1 magazine as the colt (15 vs 7 rounds).

The ruger 10/22 is quite useful, even though it's the weakest gun. It is very, very rare for more than one to spawn (chinatown gun store), and its ammo spawns all over the map. Since no one else can use .22 ammo, you almost always have lots of rounds available. I've picked up over 100 rounds of .22 in a single run through chinatown before (not usual, but over 50 is pretty common). It kills child zombies with 1 headshot and regular zombies in 2, and is very accurate.

#2 Lt.Hargrove

Lt.Hargrove

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

Actually, I find Colt and Magnum equal. Magnum has more firepower, colt shots faster. The best weapon gamewide is SKS, you can kill dozens of enemies with it with very little risk. It's only downside is that you can't hold maglite when equipped with it.
Lololololololololo

#3 siLeNT

siLeNT

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Colt + maglite, 870er shotgun and sks r my favorites.

and Chainsaw is uber. As long as u have fuel u r on a killing spree. B)
on chinatown its perfect to open the shortcut in the tunnels very quick without high risk.
there is no *.vmf for this tutorial

#4 draco122

draco122

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

In what limited experience I've had my favorites are the Machete, Colt 1911 and SV10 Perinnia double barrel shotgun.

I use the Colt because of that 1 shot kill to the dome, whereas the Beretta is 2 shots and I generally prefer .45 handguns over .9mm Handguns. It's faster than the .357 but still has decent accuracy to it.

I prefer the idea of Accuracy and power over volume of fire and the small magazine size may be a hindrance to some but to me I find it a good way of conserving ammo (means you have to make all your shots count).

Why do I like the Machete? Purely because I like bladed weapons, and the Machete is the closest thing at the moment. Plus it's a quick yet still damaging weapon and I found I had a greater number of kills with it compared to other melee weapons.

Why the SV10? I think the shotgun is under-valued, in any survival situation every gun is worth it's weight in gold. The SV10 is no different, I like it because it's a double barrel, and double barrel's make me think of Ash's boomstick in Evil Dead. Might not be the same but it's a good substitute. That and it's 2 shot capacity means I'll have to make my shots count and it's more of a "conservative" weapon and my style is heavily based on a conservation manner, saving ammo and choosing encounters carefully.

Plus I have no idea if the weapons currently have weight or not individually but the SV10 feels lighter than other shotguns, allowing me to go that little bit longer.

#5 Maxx

Maxx

Project Lead

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,477 posts
  • Interests:4 8 15 16 23 42

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

Weapons do in fact have weight, and that weight is based on "class", such has handguns, shotguns, rifles, and melee all have their own weights per category.

Like NMRiH? Add me on Facebook!
-- NMRiH Project Lead, Team Manager --
"less talk more getting naked" -- ssba
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 draco122

draco122

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:45 AM

Weapons do in fact have weight, and that weight is based on "class", such has handguns, shotguns, rifles, and melee all have their own weights per category.

Thanks, good to know!

#7 Raserisk

Raserisk

Zombie

• Real Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:05 AM

As a lonewolf/independent player. I use absolutely anything and everything to ensure my survival. On the concept of weapons and items, I always look for what will kill quickly, and what is efficient. However, I am not looking for a fight, my goal in every map is to complete the objectives as quickly as possible, evade as many zombies as I can and try not to take more than one hit.

Melee Weapons

In order of most useful,

1. Slegehammer is always my biggest priority to grab due to its ability to kill almost any zombie in one hit without having to charge it up.

2. Fireaxe is quick, and gets me out of a jam with two hits usually taking care of a zombie.

3. Chainsaw deserves a mention due to its power, but it is more for a group working together, groups tend to attract more zombies so I stray from them.

Handguns

I will always go for the .45 due to its ability of killing zombies in one hit with enough precision you can clear an entire mob. The S&W has caused my demise many times, so I only use it as a last resort. With enough ammo, the Beretta is a great friend and the speed makes it very efficient.

Firearms

I will always go for the SKS if I can get my hands on one. Currently the best weapon in the game for my playstyle due to the ease of clearing out a path if need be in short time, and the bayonet makes it the strongest melee weapon in the game. Kill two birds with one stone, that is very efficent.

Secondary and Third choices will be the m4a1 providing I have enough ammo, but it's great with the scope to take out future threats that might hinder my progress, or in the unlikely circumstances that I have to stick with a group and I'm in the lead, I can clear a path for them. Shotguns are "throwaways" to me. Depends on the situation for the most part, but they are reliable. Remember, I'm not looking for a fight, just a quick way to get in and get out.

Misc

I will always grab pills if I don't have any, despite my attempts to evade every zombie, there have been times I have been bitten, but pills have saved the day.

If I am playing a map where I need a welder, I will always pick one up. Since I'm usually in the lead, this isn't a problem. When I first started playing, there were players who would pick up the welders but then die off, leaving me to scavenge for extra ones in the map or trying to find their body, reducing my chances of survival in the process.

#8 Disposable Henchman

Disposable Henchman

Replaceable

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:Being Cannon Fodder

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

As a lonewolf/independent player. I use absolutely anything and everything to ensure my survival. On the concept of weapons and items, I always look for what will kill quickly, and what is efficient. However, I am not looking for a fight, my goal in every map is to complete the objectives as quickly as possible, evade as many zombies as I can and try not to take more than one hit.

Melee Weapons

In order of most useful,

1. Slegehammer is always my biggest priority to grab due to its ability to kill almost any zombie in one hit without having to charge it up.

[...]

sledgehammer pwns, why do other people hate it? :(
Posted Image

NMRiH isn't meant to be easy. It's meant to be an unforgiving punch to the dick.

#9 Morgoth(tne dev)

Morgoth(tne dev)

Func_detail

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Game design

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

the crowbar is the ultimate weapon ask gordon freeman
oh wait he only speaks in crowbar

#10 EriXeras

EriXeras

Reanimating

• Real Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

sledgehammer pwns, why do other people hate it? :(

I hate sledgehammer becouse it's weight. Sledgehammer is too heavy in many cases of play.

#11 jaydubs

jaydubs

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

Speaking of item weight, is this about accurate?

All items weigh 0-3 units, and survivors can carry 5 units.

Pills, radio, ammo weigh 0 units.

Flashlight, pistols, smaller melee weapons weigh 1 unit.

Larger melee weapons, Ruger 10/22, weigh 2 units.

Chainsaw, centerfire rifles, shotguns, weight 3 units.

My personal favorite combos:
Chainsaw, pistol, flashlight.
Long gun (preferably SKS), pistol, flashlight.
Sledgehammer, 2 pistols, flashlight.

Honorable mentions:
Ruger 10/22, 3 pistols. You can use 4 different types of ammo, and basically never run out.
3 pistols, flashlight, light melee weapon. Another "have lots of ammo" combination.

Oh, and does anyone know if there is an option to not rescope after firing the hunting rifle?

#12 Maxx

Maxx

Project Lead

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,477 posts
  • Interests:4 8 15 16 23 42

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

Oh, and does anyone know if there is an option to not rescope after firing the hunting rifle?

No, but we can add this in.

Like NMRiH? Add me on Facebook!
-- NMRiH Project Lead, Team Manager --
"less talk more getting naked" -- ssba
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 VIOLATION

VIOLATION

Reanimating

• Real Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:11 AM

Please do, this can get annoying if you get swarmed.

Posted Image

#14 Hellroom

Hellroom

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:37 AM

It would be a good feature. Also, optional 3D scope and the ability to use the ironsights? (The latter may be a bit pointless but could be useful if you were fighting up close)

My favourite pistol is probably the Colt 1911. As others have said the .357 is slow and inconsistent, and the M9 takes two headshots to kill a zombie (neither are bad, and its a toss up between the two if i can't find a 1911, they just seem far less consistent but add variety)

As for rifles/shotguns, the SV10 is just generally awesome (The super 5 and the M870 seem far less powerful and accurate) the ruger is suprisingly good, the hunting rifle could be very good with some tweaking (Like the suggestions above) and the SKS seems almost too good (Think I suggested this before, an added chance that the bayonet can get stuck in zombies to balance it out a bit) The M16A4 is made better by the fact that ammo is usually abundant when they spawn, the MP5 is alright but the high ROF can sometimes mean you lose track of how much ammo you're using, better to use the M9.

Melee weapons - the chainsaw, the sledgehammer and the axe. (All the others seem really underpowered) Seeing as the mods about scavenging what you can, it'd be good if there were other powertools etc available (e.g. Jack hammer, buzzsaw, Nailgun from construction site/DIY store) The fire extinguisher - should ahve the ability to spray (Don't know why but I was really suprised when you couldn't) should have better blocking qualities, the 'powered up' melee attack should be a horizontal chest height swing and it should explode if shot by the flaregun/any type of tracer ammo.

Also, don't know if this is a glitch or intentional, but if you pick an item up and throw it ontop of a zombie, it sometimes kills them instantly. (Did it with a pallet and some of the traffic cones on Cabin.)

Edited by Hellroom, 22 December 2011 - 02:38 AM.

Being alone was like a strong spiritual windy force against you... but not like it's pushing you, but felt there... as if your soul; every soul had a very deep and dark elevator to the center of the Earth; thath a very dark and sacred... holy place brought by time, fire, and darkness.

#15 jaydubs

jaydubs

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

Mmmm... the main problem with the scoped hunting rifle (and to a lesser extent the M4) is that the zoom doesn't help much at all. It makes it easier to miss if you're real close to a zombie. And to be honest, there's no good reason to even shoot at a zombie if it's far away.

I'm hoping the hunting rifle will be more useful when the survival maps come out. :)

#16 Disposable Henchman

Disposable Henchman

Replaceable

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:Being Cannon Fodder

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

Mmmm... the main problem with the scoped hunting rifle (and to a lesser extent the M4) is that the zoom doesn't help much at all. It makes it easier to miss if you're real close to a zombie. And to be honest, there's no good reason to even shoot at a zombie if it's far away.

I'm hoping the hunting rifle will be more useful when the survival maps come out. :)

if the hunting rifle is the one with the scope (I refer to it as the sniper rifle) I'm sorry to say but I find it's terrible, I can't get a headshot from a far, medium or short range, either scoped or not, moving or not. yet I can snipe zombies no scope while running with the pistol at 20 meters
Posted Image

NMRiH isn't meant to be easy. It's meant to be an unforgiving punch to the dick.

#17 Riley

Riley

Ditz

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:d10s

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

Speaking of item weight, is this about accurate?

All items weigh 0-3 units, and survivors can carry 5 units.

Pills, radio, ammo weigh 0 units.

Flashlight, pistols, smaller melee weapons weigh 1 unit.

Larger melee weapons, Ruger 10/22, weigh 2 units.

Chainsaw, centerfire rifles, shotguns, weight 3 units.

Sort of, survivors can carry up to 10 units (or slots or whatever terminology you want to use)

Rifles and shotguns generally weigh 5 units (though there are some exceptions), pistols generally weigh about 2 units, melee weapons range from 2 units to 7 units, and objective/support items (stuff like the welder and walkie talkie) weigh 1 unit

Along with that players can obtain a overall speed decrease if they're carrying at half or full capacity

---------

Melee damage for quick attacks vary but in general most melee weapons can perform one hit kills if a player charges up their melee attack to roughly 3 to 3.5 seconds, and then score a headshot

It's like that atm because if we kept the old 1 hit quick attack kill method, skilled players can clear out streets without difficulty with a machete in record time :P (overtime there'll probably be a better solution)

#18 jaydubs

jaydubs

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Has anyone actually noticed the speed decrease for carrying extra items? I always carry maximum inventory whenever I find useful items, and don't really feel any slower. Could just be me though.

Maybe if the speed decrease were more extreme it would actually be a tactical choice?

#19 Lucio 1995

Lucio 1995

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

The ruger 10/22 is quite useful, even though it's the weakest gun. It is very, very rare for more than one to spawn (chinatown gun store), and its ammo spawns all over the map. Since no one else can use .22 ammo, you almost always have lots of rounds available. I've picked up over 100 rounds of .22 in a single run through chinatown before (not usual, but over 50 is pretty common). It kills child zombies with 1 headshot and regular zombies in 2, and is very accurate.

The Ruger also spawns in Broadway, i think it's across the street from the Supermartket, there's an alley with a warehouse door to the right that goes to a laundry, the Ruger can spawn in there.

#20 draco122

draco122

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

Okay after playing it again on a friends computer I'm finding myself strangely attached to the Ruger 10/22. Almost nobody picks it up because it's so weak yet I find it dead on accurate and I can still carry a ton of ammo and still run fairly decently. Just out of curiosity, how much .22 ammo can you carry, is there even a maximum?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users