#21 Hypno Toad

Hypno Toad

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Interesting things

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:48 PM

Kudos to the devs, turns out you can assign a "target" to zombie spawns, so they'll head towards it. The truck is the target now ;)

Prepare to defend the truck from swarms of undead

#22 H.Drescher

H.Drescher

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

Kudos to the devs, turns out you can assign a "target" to zombie spawns, so they'll head towards it. The truck is the target now ;)

Me Gusta.

#23 Bubz

Bubz

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

Ugh, balance that out, I'd hate 15 zombies walking slowly to the van while were scavenging for items, I'd say have only like 5 zombies targeted to it and have a large spawn time on it for every wave of them.

#24 Pelk

Pelk

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hello,
I am in college at the moment, but I have some spare time that I could work on making a truck model & interior if you want. I am a basic modeler, but I think I could put something together.

I also have some ideas.
Your objective is always gas. have a math counter for the gas min and max and when the truck is moving lower it and if there is no gas then the truck stops and when the gas enters the truck it adds to the math counter.
And to prevent people from camping in the truck and not dieing, since your going to block zombies getting in, make a trigger hurt in the truck that turns on for a second when the truck takes damage from a zombie. But you would need to find a way to make zombies attack the truck or just make zombies near the doors a bad idea. Or just let them in the truck.

Well if you like the offer add me. id/fire451

#25 Hypno Toad

Hypno Toad

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

Been a while since the last update. Put some more work into it.. I've got about 95% of the roads done, so Ill be working on the objectives soon.

As for objectives I think I'm going to have multiple car obstructions in the dark tunnel that the survivors need to push out of the way, there will be a semi-truck pileup near the roadside market/weighin station in which players will need to open up a sidepath and drive around the market. In the town the armored milk truck will run out of gas, and you'll need to raid the gas station and a nearby auto part store for various supplies (there`ll be other stores and homes with various other goodies in them), on the long strip of highway there'll be a "highway of death" type scenrio and you'll need to take a drive along a derilict cliffside roadway to get around it, in the "boonies" section I think I'll have a a zombie infested motor-inn that you need to wade your way through (I`ll think of a reason why)

I'd still like more ideas though so if you can think of something feel free to write it down.

In the mean time heres two shots. Ive started using a new type of tree card that I feel looks a lot better:

Posted Image

Heres an overhead shot of the map:

Posted Image

#26 Disposable Henchman

Disposable Henchman

Replaceable

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:Being Cannon Fodder

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

-A drawbridge that is up, which players can pass to the other side, but the truck obviously can't until it's lowered and you need to lower it somehow from the other side to be able to pass with the truck, maybe have it tied to a building, meaning players will have to go through zombies to get shit done.

-A tollbooth/traffic gate which you need to find some cash to insert in to pass through, money could be in a building or something.

-Some spike strips and barricades left over by policemen must be removed manually from the road as zombies swarm in, some players work on removal and some defend, etc.
Posted Image

NMRiH isn't meant to be easy. It's meant to be an unforgiving punch to the dick.

#27 VIOLATION

VIOLATION

Reanimating

• Real Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

I thought this was dead. Glad to hear we've just been in the dark for a couple months. Keep up the good work.

Posted Image

#28 Hypno Toad

Hypno Toad

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

-A drawbridge that is up, which players can pass to the other side, but the truck obviously can't until it's lowered and you need to lower it somehow from the other side to be able to pass with the truck, maybe have it tied to a building, meaning players will have to go through zombies to get shit done.

-A tollbooth/traffic gate which you need to find some cash to insert in to pass through, money could be in a building or something.

-Some spike strips and barricades left over by policemen must be removed manually from the road as zombies swarm in, some players work on removal and some defend, etc.

Those all sound good, will probably put most of those in. Might have difficulty with the drawbridge though as implementing a river could be difficult

I thought this was dead. Glad to hear we've just been in the dark for a couple months. Keep up the good work.

Well to be fair I wasnt really working on it most of that time. I just get tired of mapping on occasion, but I'm back into it now.

Unfortuntely the prevalence of player collisions might make entering and exiting the truck quite difficult, hopefully a more elegant system other than solid player collisions will be added in, as that would inadvertantly fix my problem.

Edited by Hypno Toad, 03 March 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#29 Dissident

Dissident

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:t

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:15 AM

I love the open landscape feel of your map.

#30 Disposable Henchman

Disposable Henchman

Replaceable

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Those all sound good, will probably put most of those in. Might have difficulty with the drawbridge though as implementing a river could be difficult

Posted Image

doesn't need to be big.

it could be a small 3-5 meter wide pond or river, which is infected water, you would have to find crates and stack them as stepping stones to go across safely, then once on the other side you find a way to lower the drawbridge!
Posted Image

NMRiH isn't meant to be easy. It's meant to be an unforgiving punch to the dick.

#31 Ghost Kage

Ghost Kage

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

This map looks amazing. I can't wait for the release Hypno Toad, keep up the excellent work!

Edited by Ghost Kage, 04 March 2012 - 09:10 PM.

Posted Image

#32 Hypno Toad

Hypno Toad

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

Logistical problem for a draw bridge more lies in the fact that they draw so boats can go under them :P

Could make it more of a "flood bridge" type thing that raises to avoid high water flows. Or maybe a small dam.

edit

Its a bit crude, but I'll "grunge it up" later with a flipped waste disposal truck, and some more trees around the area.

Posted Image

Edited by Hypno Toad, 04 March 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#33 Disposable Henchman

Disposable Henchman

Replaceable

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Logistical problem for a draw bridge more lies in the fact that they draw so boats can go under them :P

Could make it more of a "flood bridge" type thing that raises to avoid high water flows. Or maybe a small dam.

If I could find the name of a certain device/mechanism I have seen before, I would post a picture and suggest that instead, it's basically permanent retractable mechanical pylons, they raise up to restrict access, and lower to allow a car to drive over the them unscathed, either ways the players would need to feed it electricity or find the switch to make them lower, they could easily be on the bridge.

Posted Image

very similar to this; but they can move up and down hydraulically.
Posted Image

#34 Agatsu

Agatsu

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

This looks awesome and has so much potential!

Upgradeable, iconic truck
Consider making the truck upgradable... a mounted machine gun, armor, spotlight, health station, camera/monitor set, the pointy ram thing, a radio (all people inside the truck are treated as if they had a walkie talkie), maybe even chainsaws on the side that can be turned on and off from inside the truck, but require gas, a stereo for awesome music (maybe you could even loot new tracks as a sort of easter egg. Also: Pin-up posters, furry dice etc... Those could be objects that can be found, picked up and and added or welded to the truck - if they're not welded 100% they simply don't function until welding is complete, or fall off when the truck is moved (for example the ram).
Dynamic lights for the headlights would be awesome, of course, as well as each door having its own trigger to open/close it and a couple of interactive gizmos. The doors are indestructable, and there's a trapdoor to climb on the roof from inside and a ladder to do so from the outside.

You should definitely put more work in the truck and don't make it just practical and okay-looking, but detailled and sort of iconic, like a mix between the Dead Reckoning (just not as over the top),
Posted Image

this IRL "zombie-proof" car:
Posted Image

and of course this:
Posted Image

Give the truck a name as well. Make it awesome - it's gonna be worth the effort.

New gamemode/series of maps
Also, you could make this a series of maps - a campaign, if you will - because there are so many possibilities with this concept, and so many potential environments that it would be a shame if we didn't see more maps like this. Just a bunch of truck-maps, in different environments from woods to mountain roads to cities to open fields with different farms etc. and different emphasis on the time spent driving and looting/doing objectives, picking up new accessories for the truck... like a zombie road movie, "Dead Road" or something (I think "Roadkill" is taken).
The maps could be constructed so they could be used to simply keep the map cycle diverse and/or "connect" other maps so servers could make their own stories depending on the map rotation.
In addition to that, the campaign maps should of course have their own story arc. There's this cancelled zombie driving game whose name I forgot, about having to drive an atom bomb to the center of a zombie-infested city and blow it up - basically a suicide mission. That kind of setting with this kind of gameplay would be awesome.
Like, in the first map, the players find the truck in a garage near a zombie-infected junk yard and need to repair and "upgrade" it, then start their journey on a mountain road - your map. The next maps could be a forest, a small town, some farmland, then city maps, then the grande finale with the explosion of the bomb - or even an escape map after the bomb is planted.

It's almost a gameplay mode on its own if you think about it. I hope there's going to be a "campaign"-feature similar to -gasp- L4D in future versions.

It's a shame somebody already picked "Roadkill" as the name for their map AFAIR, because it would be a great name for the truck as well as the campaign name AND the game mode. ^^

Objective opportunities
The truck lends itself to so many objectives...
-upgrade it as mentioned before (sometimes optional, sometimes mandatory)
-lower a bridge
-open a gate
-dowse a fire
-move a container with a crane
-drive ANOTHER truck under a small broken bridge so that the awesome-truck can drive over it
-collect enough loot as an objective (gas, food), defend the truck (or defend a building WITH the truck) for a couple of waves of survival mode and drive around to collect supply drops
-replace a tire
-push obstacles out of the way or drive through them, like fences around a building, cars on a bridge, containers in a dock or the front of a gun shop.
-place the truck so players can get to places with good loot they otherwise couldn't get to, like a second story window to an apartment with goodies in it/great sniping spot
-get calls for help from trapped survivors over the radio (doesn't have to have NPC's, but could just be triggered or timed radio messages for atmosphere, and the other survivors have just been overrun when the players get there). Wait this could work without a truck as well. Nevermind. I'm making this up as I go along.
-collect BIG supplies crates that are distributed around the map and can only be collected by touching them with the rear of the truck which allows the crates to be slowly pushed into the back of the truck when the doors are open. Moving the crates without the truck would be much too slow, so the truck is needed.
-Approach a fortified building over an open field; players don't really stand a chance if they don't use the truck. Of course this requires human NPC's.
-Close off an opening in survival mode
-Mow down zombies
-Sing "100 bottles of beer on the wall"

Lots of opportunities for grieving, though.

I know I'm babbling incoherently (and you got other, more important shit to do, I'm sure), but I like this idea so much and was flashed by so many ideas for it, because like I said, this has so much potential... don't waste it. ;)

tl;dr THIS, and MOAR!

EDIT: Oh Jesus fucking Christ, "Roadkill" is the name of THIS map. I knew I heard it before, lol. I'm so stoned, dude.

Agatsu sounds like he almost knows what he's talking about.

#35 Hypno Toad

Hypno Toad

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

I wouldnt get too excited about the truck. The fact that it even qaulifies as "mostly functional" is almost a miracle.

It's really just a utility that allows maps of this scale to work and be fun, but the truck itself is always going to be pretty minimalistic.

#36 Maxx

Maxx

Project Lead

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts
  • Interests:4 8 15 16 23 42

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

This map is looking really excellent, keep it up!

Like NMRiH? Add me on Facebook!
-- NMRiH Project Lead, Team Manager --
"less talk more getting naked" -- ssba
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Agatsu

Agatsu

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

I wouldnt get too excited about the truck. The fact that it even qaulifies as "mostly functional" is almost a miracle.

It's really just a utility that allows maps of this scale to work and be fun, but the truck itself is always going to be pretty minimalistic.

Your answer makes me sad, but I still love you.

Agatsu sounds like he almost knows what he's talking about.

#38 Hypno Toad

Hypno Toad

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

*snippity* (had some image problems)

Edited by Hypno Toad, 05 March 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#39 Hypno Toad

Hypno Toad

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

Well I may imrpove upon the truck, but probably wont be anything spectacularly fancy. Though I like your idea of having to use the truck to boost yourself up to hidden places, hadn't actually thought of that.A

A few updates here:

- In town the objective will be to open a defunct and barricaded car garage. The highway is jammed solid with burnt out car pileups and a mess of zombies, so to clear the town you need to detour your truck through a back alley which is only accesible through a barricaded car garage with a broken door mechanism. You'll need some items and tools that are scattered throught the town to get the car garage open.

- I've commnited to adding a small lumbermill next to the highway, so that'll be one of the detours you'll need to take, and it'll have its own internal objective/s

Here's some screenshots of shit you haven't seen. Tweaked the lighting a bit and added an env_sun (finally)

Shot of the draw bridge/dam.

Posted Image

Tried my best to make the scene gruesome and ominous, to distract anybody with the short straw to try and hop their way across the corosive chemical spill

Posted Image

And here's some shots of the town (it's still a pretty big WIP) thanks to h. drescher who donated the zombo mart.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 ThoughT

ThoughT

Lead Composer / Music Director

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Music, writing and electronics, NMRiH

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Looking great!

Check me out on SoundCloud: Click Here