Photo

Community Creativity Contest and Prizes #2 - Short Story Edition!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Dman757

Dman757

Key to your <3

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:4554

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

contest_banner_july2.jpg

Rules
1. Must be less than 7,500 words.
2. Must be grammatically correct throughout.
3. It must be written by YOU.
4. Must be descriptive with some emphasis on setting for the sake of our level designers.
5. Must be as realistic as a zombie apocalypse can be. That means no mutants or weird science fiction stuff.

The NMRiH community has created some great fan fiction in the past and continues to write some amazing stories to this day. It was these stories that inspired us to create the universe surrounding our mod. Now it’s up to you to help us expand our universe. For NMRiH canon see our story section. And for some inspiration see what our community has written in the fan fiction forum!

A few things to note when writing for our canon:
  • Zombie outbreak started in 2010 somewhere between the months of July-September.
  • The majority of our maps currently take place in New York. Although you may use any location in the world you wish.
  • We encourage you to make up characters rather than use ours.
  • Animals can not become undead. If infected they will die. Human Zombies only.
  • There may be fast runner zombies and slow shamblers only. (of any age) No alternative zombie types.

Submissions go to contact@nmrih.com

Contest deadline September 12th 11:59 PST

#2 draco122

draco122

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

There may be fast runner zombies and slow shamblers only. (of any age) No alternative zombie types.

Just a few questions regarding this.

1. Presumably we can only send one story submission? Not a whole butt load of different stories?

2. Is it any particular writing type? Third person narrative or from a first person perspective?

3. The set of notes left aside regarding how the story is, the last one, No.5 mentioned NO special Zombie types. Does this include other potential enemies that are not necessarily "Zombie". Examples of what I mean include Natural Wildlife (Dogs, Bears, Sharks etc) or otherwise crazed or hostile Humans, Aka Looters, Rogue Cops or Military Death squads?

4. If I were to submit a Story, would it be a requirement to have it written using a US Dictionary or can be it be a UK Dictionary? I say this, because of differences in spelling with the two dictionaries.

#3 Sick_Joe

Sick_Joe

Concept Artist

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

We don't have zombie animals in our game so I would imagine those are a no go. But I don't see why you can't have looters, marines tryin to kill whoever, etc. I also doubt it's a requirement that you have to stick to the US dictionary...write in whatever way is most comfortable to you...besides your terminology and spelling give your work it's own flavor man. If I am wrong on any points I'm sure Dmang will clarify.
Posted Image

no...i'm not trying to poison you.

#4 Maxx

Maxx

Project Lead

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,389 posts
  • Interests:4 8 15 16 23 42

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

First or third person narrative is fine. If you wanted to include something like wild dogs or whatever, that is fine in my opinion. Only one story submission per person.

Like NMRiH? Add me on Facebook!
-- NMRiH Project Lead, Team Manager --
"less talk more getting naked" -- ssba
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Paladin

Paladin

Games Tester

• Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

This competition calls for Joe.

34obzut.jpg

#6 Hicks

Hicks

Zombie

• Zombies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Joe will win 100%. But anyway, this contest means another month without release :(

#7 Maxx

Maxx

Project Lead

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,389 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

Joe will win 100%. But anyway, this contest means another month without release :(

If you wanna learn C++ and help out ssba with wrapping up the code, you're more then welcome to. We only have one dedicated programmer, so give us a break lol

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Dman757

Dman757

Key to your <3

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

3. The set of notes left aside regarding how the story is, the last one, No.5 mentioned NO special Zombie types. Does this include other potential enemies that are not necessarily "Zombie". Examples of what I mean include Natural Wildlife (Dogs, Bears, Sharks etc) or otherwise crazed or hostile Humans, Aka Looters, Rogue Cops or Military Death squads?

4. If I were to submit a Story, would it be a requirement to have it written using a US Dictionary or can be it be a UK Dictionary? I say this, because of differences in spelling with the two dictionaries.

3. As long as animals don't become zombies you are free to have them within your story. Human enemies of any (realistic) type are fine.

4. I don't care either way.

#9 Kingtrue11

Kingtrue11

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

Since you said any age, we can include kid zombies?
Is there a limit on how much descriptions for mutilation we can do to the zombified children, or what?

#10 Dman757

Dman757

Key to your <3

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:03 AM

Go for it.

#11 Xendrid

Xendrid

Public Relations

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts
  • Interests:Valar Morghulis

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

Since you said any age, we can include kid zombies?
Is there a limit on how much descriptions for mutilation we can do to the zombified children, or what?

As long as it isn't all we read about :P

#12 Thechuz

Thechuz

Infected

• Real Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'm going to give this a go, do the dead start to walk or is it an infection?

As in, if someone just dies of a heart attack will they come back as an undead?

Oh god damnit, just looked at Joes stuff and I'll never win :(

Edited by Thechuz, 06 August 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#13 Maxx

Maxx

Project Lead

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,389 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

It is an infection, specifically a cocktail of two foreign organisms in the body. Read over our backstory documents to get a feel for the atmosphere of the United States and the world to the events going on.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Sloth444

Sloth444

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:38 PM

so where do i send my story?

#15 Riley

Riley

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:Shipping

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:23 AM

Submissions go to nmrihmod@gmail.com

nmrihmod@gmail.com :P

#16 casan0vax

casan0vax

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

Quick questions:

1.) Are we permitted to use real locations/place names?
In other words, can we name-drop a well-known building or place or even have the story take place there?

For instance, if the story took place in New York City, would we be able to use Trump Tower? Or if it was in Philadelphia, would we be able to use Wells Fargo Center (76ers Arena)?
I'm just not sure if you guys are concerned with (or constrained by) copyrights, trademarks or any of that legal stuff, at least in terms of this contest.

2.) Are zombies actually called "zombies?"
Does this take place in a world where the idea of a zombie apocalypse is completely foreign (something like in movies where the general population has no idea what is happening)?

I'm leaning towards the answer being 'yes' since the letters that comprise the backstory hint at a kind of confused reaction to the outbreak by scientists, whereas if this happened in real life, people would be calling it a zombie outbreak within hours because of the intense cult interest in that kind of scenario. Just looking for clarity, though.

3.) Is there such a thing as too much profanity?
Not that I plan on having four-letter-words every sentence, but generally speaking, I find that people use profanity rather casually these days, whether it be in normal conversation or in the heat of battle.

Thanks in advance for your respose(s). Cool contest, good luck to everyone entering =)
Posted Image

#17 Dman757

Dman757

Key to your <3

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

1.) Are we permitted to use real locations/place names?
Well we aren't selling or making any profit off of this so copyright doesn't come into play.

2.) Are zombies actually called "zombies?"
If you saw humans come back from the dead what would you call them?

3.) Is there such a thing as too much profanity?
Whatever you feel comfortable with. They are your characters.

#18 Bluehawk

Bluehawk

Tsar and Autocrat of all the Canadas

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

So they do actually die first and come back, it's not like the Rage Virus...

Well since they eat people you could call them ghouls. And since it's a rived corpse, you could call it a revenant. Zombies are traditionally enslaved by someone. Someone should set their story in the Caribbean and have a superstitious character constantly complaining that people are misusing the term ;)

dJu91.jpg

#19 casan0vax

casan0vax

Fresh Meat

• Real Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

One more question - hypothetically, if someone submits this and is chosen as the winner, does he/she waive all rights and ownership of the intellectual property of the story to NMRIH? Besides the stuff that deals with NMRIH canon, of course. I only ask because I've grown to really like my story and am actually considering developing it into something bigger (novel/screenplay). Sorry about all the legal questions, just a little paranoid about it because of some bad experiences.
Posted Image

#20 Dman757

Dman757

Key to your <3

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

One more question - hypothetically, if someone submits this and is chosen as the winner, does he/she waive all rights and ownership of the intellectual property of the story to NMRIH? Besides the stuff that deals with NMRIH canon, of course. I only ask because I've grown to really like my story and am actually considering developing it into something bigger (novel/screenplay). Sorry about all the legal questions, just a little paranoid about it because of some bad experiences.

I purposely left that out of the contest rules because we have no intention of using it other than featuring it in our soon to be E-Book and artist interpreted map. If this were an art or level design contest it would be different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users